Chinatown Pretty features beautiful portraits and heartwarming stories of trend-setting seniors across six Chinatowns. This book is great for anyone looking for advice on how to live to a ripe old age with grace and good humor—and, of course, on how to stay stylish.
Chinatown Pretty also shares nuggets of philosophical wisdom and personal stories about immigration and Chinese American culture.
Chinatown Pretty is a signature style worn by pòh pohs (grandmas) and gùng gungs (grandpas) everywhere—but it's also a life philosophy, mixing resourcefulness, creativity, and a knack for finding joy even in difficult circumstances.
• Photos span Chinatowns in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Vancouver.
• The style is a mix of modern and vintage, high and low, handmade and store bought clothing.
• This is a celebration of Chinese American culture, active old-age, and creative style.
• This book will resonate with photography buffs, fashionistas, and Asian Americans of all ages.
• Chinatown Pretty has been featured by Vogue.com, San Francisco Chronicle, Design Sponge, Rookie, Refinery29, and others.
• With a textured cover and glossy bellyband, this beautiful volume makes a deluxe gift.
Andria Lo and Valerie Luu have been interviewing and photographing Chinatown's most fashionable elders on their blog and Instagram, Chinatown Pretty, since 2014.
Hardcover, 224 pages, by Valerie Luu & Andria Lo, dimensions are 7.25 x 9.25 inches.